Compliance with the ever-increasing demands to protect our environment requires increasingly complex measures to improve fuel consumption and emissions in internal combustion engines. Even small changes to an engine need to be validated via thorough engine test bench testing. In this process, accurate measurement of the combustion air mass flow is extremely important.
FEV has developed the FEV AirRate for this purpose.
AirRate meets all current demands concerning a state-of-the-art measuring system for combustion air mass flow. The FEV AirRate measuring principle is based upon contactless measurement of gas velocity, pressure, and temperature and provides the actual combustion air mass flow in kg/s.
The ultrasonic gas flow meter with four measuring paths enables highly accurate air mass flow metering over the full measurement range. The system offers very fast response times and assures reproducible test results, even during highly dynamic engine test cycles. The system features a very low pressure drop and, therefore, does not influence the engine behavior. Due to its inherently wide measuring range, the complete range from single cylinder engines up to heavy duty engines can be covered with only two measuring systems: FEV AirRate 100 and FEV AirRate 150.
The FEV AirRate has a very small footprint. The inlet and outlet sections are each only 5x the inside diameter. With the built-in system flow straightener, the system can be installed behind a pipe bend without an immediate increase in the inlet section size. The system can easily be used in test benches with or without Intake air conditioning.
Your benefits include:
• High measurement accuracy due to direct fourpath layout without signal reflection
• Bi-directional measurement without pressure loss
• Fast response time, suitable for highly dynamic test cycles
• Suitable for air mass flow measurements in single cylinder engines
• Low pressure drop, no influence on engine behavior
• Broad measuring range up to 1:140
• No mechanical wear
• Long-term stability and reliability
• Low maintenance requirements due to use of titanium ultrasonic transducers
• Compact size, easy to install